Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thanksgiving Prep

This year for Thanksgiving will just be Charles and me. Since we'll be visiting my parents for Christmas, we decided to lay low for Thanksgiving. I haven't made Thanksgiving dinner since our first married Thanksgiving back in 2008. That year I had VERY bad timing and nothing was done at the same time and we ended up eating a lot later than I wanted to. I'm hoping this year goes a lot smoother.

Here is the meal line-up:
Turkey--I'll probably just get a turkey breast. I don't want to deal with a whole turkey and end up with tons of leftovers.

Kentucky or Corn Spoon Bread--my co-worker made this for our work Thanksgiving Cook Out on Thursday. It was so delicious! I found a recipe for it on Pinterest that I am going to attempt.

Parmesan Walnut Broccoli--neither Charles nor myself like Green Bean Casserole. That is the only green veggie side we had at Thanksgiving when I was growing up. Charles thought we should do something with walnuts and broccoli. I found a recipe for a broccoli and walnut side on Pinterest, of course.

Sweet Potato Casserole--I don't like this, but it is a must-have side dish for Charles.

Stuffing--I'll probably get a mix from Earthfare instead of making it completely from scratch. It's not hard to make from scratch, but having a mix will give me one less thing to really worry about.

Mashed Potatoes and Gravy--the potatoes will be made from scratch and I'll probably get a gravy mix to keep it easy.

Caramel Apple Pecan Pie--this is my all-time favorite kind of apple pie! It is sweet and yummy! I typically use Granny Smith apples exclusively. This year I'm going to do a mix of Granny Smith and Honeycrisp. My sister introduced us to Honeycrisp. It is a Minnesota-based apple and it really tasty. I think it will go well in my pie. I think we're going over to our friend's house for dessert on Thanksgiving, so I'm going to bring this with us. The wife is gluten-free, so I am going to get some brown rice flour to use in the apple/caramel mixture instead of regular flour so she can at least enjoy the filling. I'm going to stick with my typical pie crust from Immaculate Baking Co.

No comments:

Post a Comment