Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2015

My bookshelf

Growing up with a mom who wanted to be a librarian, we read a lot. I remember many visits to the library to pick out books to read.

Then at some point I made up my mind that it wasn't cool to read. I don't know why it mattered. I still read from time to time, but definitely not as much.

Over the past few years I have returned to reading just for the fun of it. It started off reading before going to bed. I find it is an excellent way to turn my brain off so I do not lie away thinking of everything under the sun and not being able to sleep.

And now that I'm stuck at work for lunch instead of being able to come home, I read on my lunch break, too. I have several co-workers that stop in the break room and will ask me what I'm reading. They have kids and say how they wished they had more time to read. One of the ladies told me that last weekend she finally took some time, sat in her comfy chair and read while her boys played. I was so happy for her that she was able to take some time for herself. I think all parents should do that!

I just finished a nice book called Charleston. Of course I would enjoy that, right? It took place in the 90's, so it was the Charleston of my youth. As always when I read books that take place in the Lowcountry, I got homesick. The story was interesting and hit home. It was about a lady who grew up in Charleston and then moved away for college and was living in London. She had been gone for about 10 years and then came home for a visit. She described her feelings about being home...how it was all so familiar and she just picked back up where she left off. I feel the same way every time I am back.

Our next book club book is called Brooklyn: A Novel. I am about 20% through the book. We picked it from a list of books that were becoming movies this year. So far, I am not sure it would make for a great movie. The story has been slow to get under way. I am hoping it picks up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment