Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

No Sew Chair Cushions

I've been meaning to make some chair cushions for our kitchen chairs for about 2 years now. My husband likes to have a cushion to sit on. He has been using a regular bed pillow for the past few years, which doesn't exactly fit into my design scheme. I've had all the materials for these cushions, thanks to my mom, but thought I had to make the covers with the sewing machine. To be honest, that intimidated me because I wanted that tailored look, but didn't feel like dealing with the hassle. The idea for no sew cushions dawned on me last week. I wasn't sure if it would work out, but so far they are working out great. Here's how you can make some too!

Materials
Foam. I got mine at the fabric store and cut them to fit our kitchen stools. Make sure you get foam that is thick enough for your comfort.
Fabric. I didn't really measure how much I used, but you'll need enough to cover all your foam cushions, so about twice the size of your cushion. I used regular cotton fabric. If you want easier clean-up, then it would probably be best to get some tablecloth material that can be wiped clean easily.
Hot glue and hot glue gun. Mine is high temp (I don't know if it matters)

Cut your fabric to cover the foam cushion. I didn't cover the whole bottom because no one would see it anyway.
Hot glue the fabric to the foam on two sides. I just hot glued in the middle, but I am wishing I would have hot glued more than just the middle.
Then act like you are wrapping a present and hot glue the other two sides to the foam

 Flip it over and you have one completed no sew cushion. Repeat the steps for the remaining cushions.

No comments:

Post a Comment