Thursday, June 2, 2011

Creative muse

I have been reading my friend's blog and getting inspired by all her creative projects. She makes purses, teething pearls, cake pops and more. Her blog, my constant desire to decorate every inch of my house and the fact that Cheryl is visiting this month made me think about making curtains for my guest room.

We live in a 3 bedroom townhouse and when we moved I decided to change the color scheme of the guest bedroom. The first guestroom is now turquoise/aqua and orange. I saw some fabric in those colors at Hobby Lobby one day and that was it! Anyway, it has been very difficult to find bedding and such in those colors (at least within my very slim budget). So, for the bedspread I went with is white. That will go with anything so next time I change my color schemes it will still work. The other guest room's colors will be yellow and dark grey. We don't have any furniture in that room yet, so it is not worth writing about yet.

Anyway, back to my creative project. I am not going to give step-by-step instructions because I made mine the lazy crafter's way and I don't want to give that out as an example to follow. For the curtains, I bought one twin flat sheet in turquoise at Wal-Mart. (Normally I hate shopping at Wal-Mart and avoid it at all costs, but they were the only store that I knew had a single flat sheet in turquoise). I debated on whether or not I should buy the twin or full sized sheet. Since the curtains aren't for privacy and don't necessarily need to cover the whole window, I went with twin.

I actually remembered to wash the sheet before starting my project. I usually forget that step. Then I folded it in half and cut. I measured them to the length I wanted and cut off from the bottom. My first thought was to have them go all the way to the floor, but the kitties love that room and they love playing with other curtains and the bedskirt, so I made the curtains shorter.

I sewed the raw edges and sewed some orange ribbon on one side of each panel. Then I sewed over on the top so I could slide it over the curtain rod. They turned out pretty good considering I didn't really measure anything. And they were very inexpensive. I paid $5 for the sheet, $5 for 2 rolls of ribbon and $1-2 for thread.

I also got 2 pillowcases in the same color and added a strip of ribbon to the edge. That turned out cute, too. I really wanted orange ribbon with white polka dots on it, but I didn't find any.

In the next week or so, I am going to be experimenting with something new--making kitty treats! Keep checking back for that one.

2 comments:

  1. Very cute and thrifty!!! Love the teal and orange! I can't wait to see how your kitty treats turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to attempt to make a lamp out of tea cups, plates, and a tea kettle! I know it sounds weird...but I saw a really expensive one in Anthropologie the other and thought, I can make that, so I am! I'll let you know how it turns out..

    ReplyDelete