Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wanna be working woman

I've been thinking about writing about my job search, but it's so discouraging a topic that I've avoided it. But to coincide with my Facebook status for today, I thought I would share with you my experience.

I am an educated individual. I graduated from high school with a good GPA (I no longer remember what it was). I went to an accredited university and graduated with a 3.75 GPA. I was in two honor societies in college, one of which I was the president of my senior year. However, my job experience is severely lacking. I worked at Yankee Candle off and on from my senior year of high school until the end of 2009. And since then my job experience has been even worse. I attempted to sell advertising for a local website; I failed miserably for many reasons which were beyond my control. And I worked at the Cottage doing a lot for very little pay. But I figured my education could help fill the gaps of any lack of experience I may have.

After graduation I thought I wanted to do something in environmental politics. I still think that could be an interesting career field, but it seemed like the jobs I was finding in that field required a biology or science degree. I have a Political science degree, but that doesn't count as science.

The past two years I've been applying for administrative assistant types of jobs. I would do very well at this type of job. But after applying for probably 100 administrative assistant jobs and not even getting an interview I feel like that's not what I'm supposed to be doing.

I broke down a couple of weeks ago and applied to a retail position at T-Mobile. I haven't even heard back from them. I feel like such a loser. I want to work. I'll even take part-time. I feel like my college education is going to waste. And it feels like everyone else and their mother has a job. I know that's not true; the economy is still doing crappy and plenty of people are out of work. Charles was out of work for like a year and was rescued by his desire to join the military. I wouldn't last one second at BMT, so joining the military is not an option.

So, until a job suddenly makes itself available to me, the life of a housewife will have to suffice.

Tomorrow I'm going to blog about my sewing project. I would have blogged about it today, but I'm feeling too lazy to take pictures of my completed project. It's just one of those days. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment