Pages

Friday, April 8, 2016

Beat the Blerch

A while ago Charles introduced me to the Oatmeal. The Oatmeal is a website featuring comics by Matthew Inman. They are genius and slightly inappropriate at times. One of the comics is about running. I cannot do it justice by trying to explain what it is about, but you can read it here. One thing it features is a character called the Blerch.

They created a race called Beat the Blerch (which you'll now understand because you have read the comic). The race had several options: 5k, 10k, etc. Well, Charles talked me into the 10k. (What was I thinking???? ) I told myself I had plenty of time to train for it. I know I can physically complete a 5k and with some training how much worse could a 10k be. In a perfect world, I would have trained hard. In my world, I trained barely.

BUT... I did finish the 10k...with a LOT of walking. But I completed it! The course was through downtown Sacramento which included running over the Tower Bridge which is an icon of the state capitol.

The best part of this particular race is the aid stations offer cake and Nutella sandwiches. That is the only reason I agreed to this darn thing in the first place. And let me tell you, it was amazing. If every race fed me cake, I would be one happy runner.



No comments:

Post a Comment