Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Rag Rose Tutorial

The other day one of the blogs I follow had a post about a rag rug. It got me thinking about all the scraps of fabric I have in my fabric bin. I decided to make what I'm calling Rag Roses. I'm sure someone else has already thought of this, but I've never seen it before (that I know of).

Step 1: Cut out three strips of fabric. Mine were about 1 inch wide and about 10 inches long. If you make them longer then your rose will be bigger and if you make them shorter than your rose will be smaller.
 Step 2: Hold the tops together with a clothespin. You can just hold it with your fingers, but it makes the next step a little more difficult.
Step 3: Braid your strips together. Make sure the good side of the fabric is facing out each time.



Step 4: Hot glue the ends. I hot glued the 3 pieces at the end together and then folded it over and glued it on itself. I hope you know what I mean by that. It's kind of hard to explain. Just glue it so the ends are kind of tucked under to prevent unraveling.

Step 5: Start rolling it up. Hot glue as you go along. You could sew it together, but I thought hot glue would work just fine.
Once you've completed all your rolling and gluing you should have one completed Rag Rose! You can put it on a pin or make a hair pin with it. Or use it to embellish other craft projects.

This post was shared on the following Link Parties:
Reasons to Skip the Housework
Ladybug Blessings 
Cherished Bliss 

3 comments:

  1. If you made them a bit bigger you could use/sell/gift them as pot holders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a great idea, very shabby chic! Thanks for linking up at The Crafty Nest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made a few like this for wreaths and hair things, never thought about making them bigger and using them as pot holders! What a great idea!

    Stephanie @ http://airforcefamilyadventures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete