Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My volunteer job

As you know, I am searching for a job with no luck. However, I do have a pretty awesome volunteer position. I am the first president of the Alpha Omega Alumni Chapter. Alpha Omega is a Christian sorority that I was a member of in college. Since graduating, I realized that the alumni had nothing to keep us connected. So about a year ago I got the idea for an alumni chapter and in February it became official!

Being president of this organization allows me to do several things that I love to do. I make the monthly newsletter that gets emailed out to all members (all the members I've found, at least). And I get to plan events. Last September we had our 15 year reunion and I got to help plan most of it which was a blast! I really enjoying planning events. Unfortunately, since I've moved, I haven't been able to do that.

It's been cool how I've found past members. One member I found (and I don't remember how) ended up staying at my place for the reunion. It has been really fun getting to know her and it's all because of the stuff I've been doing for the alumni.

I have high hopes for the alumni chapter and I'm hoping that it will become more and more active in the coming years. I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic. Things are not necessarily happening as fast as I would like, but I have to remember that things have to happen in their own time.

Alumni at one of the reunion events last September

No comments:

Post a Comment