Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

One of the Gilmore Girls

Gilmore Girls is my all-time favorite TV show. It started during my 8th grade year, although I didn’t actually start watching it until the 2nd season. It was on for 7 seasons and I have acquired all seven. Of course, I have watched the seasons several times. Recently, due to my lack of a job, I have started watching the series again. This is probably the 4th or 5th time that I have watched Gilmore Girls. And it’s possible that I have watched it more than that. 

Things I love about Gilmore Girls:
  • Main characters—Lorelei and Rory Gilmore. They have a great mother-daughter relationship. Since Rory is about a year older than me, I always felt a connection to her. I watched as she graduated high school and started college. If Rory could do something, then I could handle it too. Although, she was pretty lucky and got a dream job right after graduation. But she also went to Yale and I did not.
  • The Lorelei and Luke Dynamic. Luke owns the diner in town and throughout the series they leave you wondering if they will ever get together.
  • The characters in the town. They live in a small town outside of Hartford, CT, called Stars Hollow. The town folk are hilarious and very quirky. (Hartford is not exactly what I imagined. Charles and I visited CT last summer. Stars Hollow is a fictional town)
  •  The dialogue. It’s fast-paced, filled with cultural references and witty. It keeps you on your toes.
  • The dynamic between Lorelei and her parents. Lorelei grew up in Hartford with her wealthy parents (think Rolls Royce). But she never felt like she fit in and then she got pregnant at 16 and moved out. So her parents have a long-held grudge and Lorelei resents them for how they raised her. The way their relationship evolves over the series is really interesting. 
One of the characters, Kirk, seems to work at every business in Stars Hollow at some point over the course of the series. I feel slightly Kirk-ish in that sense. It seems like I’m just going to work at various seemingly meaningless jobs over the course of my life. I know that’s probably not the case, but lately I feel doomed to work retail the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment