Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Reunion

Handmade invitations
In college, I was in a Christian sorority called Alpha Omega. Last fall, Alpha Omega celebrated its 15 year reunion. I was lucky enough to be able to plan the reunion weekend festivities. I thought I would share what we did.

I handmade all the  50+ invitations. I had found an invitation online that had the really cute paper doll girls on it, but the colors were all wrong. I design-plagiarized and copied the paper doll girls. As you can see, there are 4 paper doll girls on each invitation, so that was a lot of paper doll girls to cut out and glue. It took what seemed like a million years. Afterwards, I figured out how to get my Silhouette machine to do it. Even though it was so time consuming, I am really happy with how they turned out.
On the first night, we had an Alumni Dinner. We had it catered with various finger foods, which were absolutely amazing! One thing was a bacon dip. I recently found a recipe that sounds similar--I just need an excuse to make it. We played a bunch of ice breaker games that I found online...gotta love Google.

Centerpieces
The next day was the Reunion Brunch, the big event! The theme for the reunion was Brought Together by Sisterhood and Kept by God. I used Paper Dolls to symbolize that theme. My budget was SUPER tight, so I couldn't do all the decorating things that I wanted to do.

For the table centerpieces at the brunch, I used large paper dolls. I found some big cutouts of paper dolls at Michael's. They were plain white, so I got some 12x12 scrapbook paper in pink, teal and yellow and traced the paper dolls and cut out the shape in the cardstock. I had to figure out a way to get them to stand up together, so I fashioned supports using small craft sticks. It wasn't the most stable...but it worked out long enough.


Cupcakes arranged in our Greek letters...not my idea, but everyone loved it! The cupcakes and icing were homemade the night before the brunch. Everyone who stayed with me helped make them which was fun!
Once I figured out how to cut the paper dolls with my Silhouette, I cut out larger girls to use as name tags. I glued pins on the back of each so everyone could wear them. They made for a cute keepsake for the event.
The other activities from the weekend included a really awesome picture scavenger hunt around town. The 100 point bonus picture was for a team member getting into the fountain at Winthrop (totally frowned upon by the higher-ups at the campus). Two of my teammates did it and we won! That evening, we had a praise and worship ceremony which was really amazing. And after that, we had a pizza & movie night and watched Steel Magnolias.

It was such a fun weekend. I hope I can help plan the  next one!

* This post was shared on the following Link Parties:

No comments:

Post a Comment