Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pinterest Recipes

I am a huge fan of Pinterest. It can be the source of so much inspiration and it offers so many ideas! Being currently unemployed, I have had a LOT of time to peruse Pinterest's many boards. It has also given me time to try out many things I have been wanting to attempt. I thought I would share some of the recipes I have used lately. (all pictures are from their respective websites/blogs)

Cinnamon Bun Pecan Pie: This pie used a few extra steps to make a really neat looking crust. It was fairly easy to accomplish. The first time we ate a slice I forgot to add the icing and I was less than thrilled with the pie. Usually when I have desserts that lack chocolate I always think, "Chocolate would make this better." Then the next time I added some homemade icing (mixed powdered sugar and milk) and it was a LOT better. The recipe calls for that crappy store bought icing, by the way. No thank you!
Brownie Batter Oatmeal: This just sounds yummy, doesn't it? Well, it was pretty good. But it did not taste like brownie batter. I guess if it did you would feel guilty about eating it for breakfast. I added a little sugar because I have a huge sweet tooth and it was not sweet enough for me. I also used regular oatmeal; we did not have any steel cut oats in the house.
Whole Wheat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pancakes: sometimes we have Brinner (breakfast for dinner). This is what we did when we tried this recipe. We added some ground flax seed for added health benefits. And if you haven't tried ground flax seed because you are afraid, just do it! I'm a HUGE picky eater. Honestly, you cannot taste flax seed and when it is ground you cannot even tell it is there. You can add it to pretty much anything. These pancakes were yummy and probably a little healthier than regular pancakes.
Peanut Butter Baklava: The other day I presented Charles with several options of desserts we could make that night. They all looked and sounded amazing, but I knew he would pick this one and he did. I have never make baklava. Phyllo dough is a little intimidating to me. But he picked it and it sounded amazing, so I faced my fears. Charles said it is one of his new favorite desserts...like in his top 5.
Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken: We just made this last night. We are simple cooks. We do not like a lot of steps or dirty pans. This recipe called for more steps and more pans/bowls than we liked, but the chicken turned out really good! We made some quinoa to go with it and it was a nice meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment