Sunday, December 8, 2013

Moving means...

...trying out new churches. This was always one of my least favorite parts of moving and still is. It is hard being the new person and not knowing what you are getting yourself into. There are so many different kinds of churches, each with their own personality. And a lot of those churches just do not fit with my personality.

When Charles and I were trying out churches in Ohio we went to one that truly made us feel uncomfortable. The service felt never-ending. We felt trapped and it was just awful for us. The people were very friendly, but it just wasn't the right fit for us.

Today I tried my first church in California. I tried out the base chapel. I had heard it was a nice place from someone who was stationed here before. In Ohio, I never considered the base chapel so I wanted to see what it was all about.

My first impression was that there weren't a lot of people. I was about 10 minutes early and there were only about 10 people in the sanctuary. I think by the end of the service there were maybe 50 people. I have been to churches of all sizes, but that was definitely one of the smallest. I like somewhat small churches, but this was a little too small for me. The people that were there seemed very friendly. Several people greeted me with hugs during the Meet and Greet part of the service (always my least favorite part).

Music in church is a big deal to me. A church's music is how I determine if I want to attend or not. The music at the chapel was not awful, but they did not have the lively, upbeat, rock and roll style that I prefer.

With all that said, I am very judgmental when it comes to picking a church. That is human nature, I think. And I have some research to do to find one that fits me better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment