Sunday, July 8, 2012

Birthday wrap-up and updates

I've been a little slack again and haven't written in a while. So here goes...

Charles' birthday was very nice. It was a Friday, so we both had to work. But I stayed up late on Thursday night helping the "birthday fairies" decorate the house with streamers and such. I had a birthday breakfast bagel waiting for him. It was his favorite kind from Panera---cinnamon crunch. Yummy!

After work, we headed to a local seafood restaurant and spent more on the meal than we ever have. I'm not a big fan of seafood so I got the non-seafood lover's entree--chicken. But it was very tasty.

When we came home, Charles opened his presents. He received some gift cards and I gave him a movie (50/50) and ...drum roll please...a DSLR camera! Charles has been wanting one for years and I finally decided to give him one. He's been playing with all the settings and using the kitties as models, so I think he likes it.

His birthday cake turned out very yummy. It was two layers of fudgy brownie with cookie dough in the middle and topped with peanut butter icing.

Other than that, I've just been working and other odd and end stuff. Work has been quite busy, but it helps the day go by fast. For the last month or so, we broke up into teams at work and were competing against each other to get rentals. It was very fun. The competition ended at the end of June and we found out who won this week. My team, Team KILL, won! We got free lunch and we each get a day off. I'm not sure when I'll use my day, but I am very excited for it.

We did a little more gardening in our backyard. The poppies we planted disintegrated. It has been really hot here. So we dug them up and planted a few other things in their place. The flower bed is looking much more full now.

For July 4th, we had some friends over for dinner. It was nice to just hang out and relax. I made the family recipe for BBQ chicken. It was my first attempt and it is one of my favorite things in the world to eat, so I was a little nervous that it wouldn't turn out right. But it came tasting just like when my mom makes it!

Lastly, Charles is out of town this weekend for a work trip. He went down to Florida. That leaves me here alone with the kitties. It will probably fly by, but the house always seems a little empty when he is away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment