Monday, January 16, 2012

Midst of planning

The alumni weekend for my college sorority is a little over a month away. Since I was elected President and kind of created the Alumni chapter, I am gladly tasked with the responsibility of planning the weekend's events. I've been planning it for months now, but I'm really kicking it in gear this week.

Here are all the activities:

Dinner
The dinner was a success last year with 10 people in attendance. (I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but considering the situation, I was very pleased). My goal for this year is to have at least 12 people. So far, 10 have RSVPed. I'll take it! Last year we did potluck which worked out really well, but I was counting on more out-of-towners coming this time so I thought a catered meal would be better. I have gone back and forth on where I wanted to get the food from and what kind of food. I was pretty much all settled on Honeybaked Ham, but then I did a little more research and realized a local restaurant catered. They have good southern food which would be perfect for my southern crowd. I decided on Fried Chicken, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Salad and Cheddar Biscuits. Doesn't that sound amazing? Now I just have to figure out a really good, easy and not too expensive dessert to go along.

Along with the food, I am still trying to decide how to decorate. I am flying down, so bringing a bunch of decorations is out of the question. It will probably be simple, but I'm not sure what yet.

Brunch
I don't actually have to do anything for this; the current sisters get to plan this event. We've been doing the brunches for years now, but this is only the 2nd year where the alumni have planned other activities over the weekend.

Chapter Meeting
Last year, we established the Alumni Chapter; this will be our second chapter meeting. I have a list of things to discuss and I'm hoping it will be a fruitful and engaging meeting.


Praise & Prayer
Since my sorority was Christian based, I thought it would be fun to set aside some time for praise & worship and prayer. I haven't planned anything for this event yet, except to brainstorm a general flow of events. First we'll sing a few songs (maybe 5 or 6). Then we're going to split up into groups and talk about prayer. And at some point in the evening we'll do communion. I want to keep it simple.



Craft & Pizza
I'm really excited about this because we have some crafty girls in our group. I have a really fun, cheap and easy craft idea that I think will turn out really cute. I started a tester of the craft, but I haven't finished it yet, so I'm not 100% sure how it will turn out. A few of the girls have their own businesses (Mary Kay, Thirty One Gifts, etc), so I have offered to let them set up mini displays so everyone else can check out some of their stuff. I thought that would be a fun way to get to know each other better and help support each other.

I'm really excited for the weekend's activities and to catch up with all my friends. As great as Facebook is, spending quality time with each other in person is really the best for catching up.

No comments:

Post a Comment