Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Church Search

Generally, I don't mind moving. I don't mind the packing and unpacking. I don't mind having to meet new people even though I'm not that great at it. I'm not completely thrilled with learning a new town, but I can handle it. The thing I absolutely LOATHE about moving is finding a new church. So, before we moved here I did my research and made a small list of churches to visit.

The first church we visited was fine. It wasn't horrible, but it just didn't feel like the church we were supposed to go to. The music was alright. I actually don't remember anything about the sermon.

We visited our second church on Easter Sunday. Charles was little leery of doing that, which I understand. You don't want to be that person that only comes to a church on a major holiday like Easter. When we drove up it was a pretty small church. But I comforted myself by saying the church we went to when we lived in Wisconsin met at my middle school (thus much smaller). When we walked in everyone was very friendly (plus). The first sign that this wasn't our church was that there were kids all over the place. I don't hate kids, but I don't think they should be running around like wild animals at church. And during the worship time there were people just walking around. It was very distracting. The music at this church was pretty great (they did stretch a few of them out a little too long where they kind of lost their meaning). But they had several drama teams and interpretive dancing (BIG minus). And I thought the service was never going to end. Charles and I both felt very uncomfortable. So needless to say, we are not going back there.

So, I had to go back and do more research to find some more churches to visit. I came across BCC. Their website made them seem like what I was looking for--contemporary music, Bible-based teaching and things going on in the church to get involved with. Charles and I took a couple of Sunday's off from church (our Easter experience was so unpleasant that we needed a break). But we finally visited BCC this past Sunday.

The people were very friendly (plus). The sanctuary felt like our previous church (plus). The pastor introduced himself to us and chatted with us for a bit before the service started (plus). The music was almost perfect; it could have been a little faster. They did play You Never Let Go by Matt Redman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB1NJV3rG6k). I absolutely love this praise song. While Charles was unemployed and while he was at BMT, this song was a huge encouragement to me. It always felt like God was saying to me "Everything will be alright. I'll take care of you." The sermon was really good. He spoke about relational elasticity. "Think Grace" was the catch phrase for this sermon. Basically it was about loving each other despite our mistakes and being there to help pick each other up after we mess up. We spoke to another Air Force couple about Home Groups and even got a little present for being a guest. When Charles opened the gift, Charles said, "I think this is a sign that we're supposed to go here." It was a coffee mug filled with Reese's PB cups; I LOVE Reese's PB cups! So, I think we'll go back to BCC and see where God leads us from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment